Structure of Molecule
9th chemistry chapter 4 solved exercise MCQs
- Atoms react with each other because :
(a) they are attracted to each other
(b) they are short of electrons
(c) they want to attain stability ✔
(d) they want to disperse
2. An atom having six electrons in its valence shell will achieve noble gas electronic configuration by :
(a) gaining two electrons
(b) losing all electrons
(c) gaining two electrons ✔
(d) losing two electrons
3. Considering the electronic configuration of atoms which atom with the given atomic number will be the most stable one ?
(c) 10 ✔
4. Octet rule is :
(a) description of eight electrons
(b) picture of electronic configuration
(c) pattern of electronic configuration
(d) attaining of eight electrons ✔
5. Transfer of electrons between atoms results in :
(a) metallic bonding
(b) ionic bonding ✔
(c) covalent bonding
(d) coordinate covalent bonding
6. When an electronegative element combines with an electropositive element the type of bonding is :
(b) ionic ✔
(c) polar covalent
(d) coordinate covalent
7. A bond formed between two non-metals is expected to be :
(a) covalent ✔
(c) coordinate covalent
8. A bond pair in covalent molecules usually has :
(a) one electron
(b) two electrons ✔
(c) three electrons
(d) four electrons
9. Which of the following compounds is not directional in its bonding ?
(b) KBr ✔
10. Ice floats on water because :
(a) ice is denser than water
(b) ice is crystalline in nature
(c) water is denser than ice ✔
(d) water molecules move randomly
11. Covalent bond involves the :
(a) donation of electrons
(b) acceptance of electrons
(c) sharing of electrons ✔
(d) repulsion of electrons
12. How many covalent bonds does C2H4 molecule have ?
(d) five ✔
13. How many electrons does a triple covalent bond involve?
(b) six ✔
(d) only three
14. Which pair of molecules has same type of covalent bonds ?
(a) O2 and HCl
(b) O2 and N2
(c) O2 and C2H4 ✔
(d) O2 and C2H2
15. Identify the compound which is not soluble in water .
16. Which one of the following is an electron deficient molecule ?
(b) BF3 ✔
17. Identify which pair has polar covalent bonds .
(a) O2 and Cl2
(b) H2O and N2
(c) H2O and C2H2
(d) H2O and HCl ✔
18. Which one of the following is the weakest force among the atoms ?
(a) ionic force
(b) metallic force
(c) intermolecular force ✔
(d) covalent force